Midian's PR-10i is a simplex store and forward repeater (aka simplexor or parrot) and paging regenerator that supports regeneration of both tone and voice similar to the discontinued Zetron Model 19.
Simplex Repeater Mode:
The PR-10i can be connected to a simplex mobile or base station to create a simplex store and forward repeater. When the PR-10i sees a busy indication from the connected radio it will start recording the received audio. When the busy indication goes away for a programmed amount of time, the PR-10i will key the radio and retransmit the recorded audio. The following are applications for the PR-10i as a simplex repeater:
• Expand radio coverage into remote locations, tunnels, buildings (hospitals, campuses, etc), downtown areas and more.
• Evaluate potential radio site or coverage problems by connecting the PR-10i to a mobile radio. A technician can then drive through the desired coverage area, key up and transmit voice, unkey and listen to the repeated audio quality.
Selective Repeat Mode:
The PR-10i has an integrated decoder that can be programmed to decode 2-Tone, with an option for DTMF, 5-Tone or Pulse Tone (1500 Hz or 2805 Hz for HEAR Systems). When the tone decoder decodes the programmed sequence(s) it will give a validate output to the PR-10. The validate confirms that the PR-10i should repeat the incoming audio. The tones will also be regenerated. The following are applications for the PR-10i as a selective simplex repeater:
• Regenerate 2-tone or DTMF (optional) pages for fire departments into remote areas or buildings with poor coverage.
• Regenerate Pulse Tone (optional) pages from ambulances in remote areas with poor coverage to hospitals (HEAR Systems).
The PR-10i can be programmed to repeat the last received audio message continuously at programmable intervals, applications include:
• Broadcasts for road or weather conditions
• Aviation authority broadcasts for pilot information (ATIS — Automatic Terminal Information Service)